Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, December 19, 2005
 
I probably won't see the Narnia movies (I liked but didn't love the books) but I have been enjoying the discussion thereof. And so far, this is the best thing I've read about them.

The most annoying aspect of the Narnia "debate" has been its crouching, clenched pugnacity. I'm as much at a loss how anyone can take seriously the criticism that the book is *bad* because it is Christian as I am how anyone can take seriously the claims that the book is *good* because it is Christian. Forgive me for continuing to believe at least a little bit in the autonomy of the aesthetic.

But what I really want to know is: where's the next, better Lewis going to come from? Because one thing Lewis was not, at least not in anything I've read of his, is defensive. And I fear there's too defensive a tone to so much of what makes it into the public square from Christian circles, so much so that I wonder about the prospects for a truly great Christian work of art in our time.