Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, September 05, 2005
 
As for the other major news of recent days - the passing of Chief Justice William Rehnquist - when President Bush nominated Roberts for Associate Justice, I applauded and suggested he nominate him for Chief if and when Rehnquist departed the Court (which I assumed would be by retiring). Glad to see he continues to take my advice on this matter. Anyone who cares about the integrity of the Court should be encouraged: we can now be assured that there will be no Gonzales Court. Unfortunately, based on what I read about how the President picked Roberts in the first place, I'm not so sanguine about the next pick. President Bush picked Roberts, it seems, because they hit it off. If he hit it off with Edith Brown Clement as well, she may be the next pick, which I suspect would be a choice that not only conservatives but also principled liberals would come to regret. In any event, the Roberts pick made one thing clear: handicapping this White House on these sorts of choices is really quite hard to do. So I won't do it again.

I'd still like to see Michael McConnell on the Court, though having recently read The Impossibility of Religious Freedom I have developed an (unfortunately deeply unrealistic) desire to hear Judge McConnell's rebuttal of that book's chief arguments as part of his confirmation hearings. But I'll be really shocked if he turns out to be the next nominee. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?