Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
 
Some time back in this space, I said, "if I were an advisor to the President, I would urge against nominating Gonzales. If I were a Senator, and Gonzales were nominated, I would likely vote to confirm." I've changed my mind. If I were a Senator, I would like vote not to confirm. I'm not convinced that, after all the negative feedback he's gotten, the President can plausibly demand a "yes" vote based on party loyalty, and the litany of reasons not to confirm has just gotten too long.

I know Gonzales is now trading at under 15 cents on the dollar at Tradesports. But this is not an academic question. Even if the next Justice is far more likely to be named "Edith" than anything else, President Bush is still overwhelmingly likely to name the next Chief Justice.