Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, June 20, 2005
 
Listen, can we just agree that Dick Durban's - or, rather, America's - problem is a simple lack of historical knowledge?

The technical term for Senator Durban is "idiot" because a sure way not to make your point successfully is to compare the opposing side to Nazis. It doesn't matter what he meant; whoever says "Nazis" first loses.

Had he said, does this sound like America or does it sound like the Argentine junta during the dirty war; had he said, does this sound like America or does this sound like the French in Algeria; had he said, does this sound like America or does this sound like the British during the Boer War - had he said any of these things, defenders of the Administration's interrogation record would have disagreed, perhaps furiously, but no one would be talking about censure. And, as well, no one in America would have had any idea what Senator Durbin was talking about.

Which is why, instead of saying any of these things, he said, does this sound like America or does it sound like Hitler.