Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, February 28, 2005
 
Okay, enough pessimism for a spell. Lebanon looks like it finally may be coming out of the civil war that started when Arafat showed up, with the various ethnic groups united around the goal of kicking out the Syrians. (Of course, we still have to see what Hizballah does after that.) And Egypt is about to having something resembling multi-party elections. This matters, because Egypt - almost uniquely in the Arab world - is a real nation, and (as I have said) nationalism and popular democracy are deeply interconnected, and the latter doesn't work so well without the former. So there are positive developments out there, and they are not entirely unrelated to the Iraq war. Keep an eye on Egypt.

(Or, as someone once said: "Iraq is the tactical pivot/Saudi Arabia is the strategic pivot/Egypt is the prize.")