Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, January 27, 2005
 
That said, I wonder whether Rabbi Lapin has read Nobel Prize-winner Isaac Bashevis Singer's celebrated novel, The Family Moskat. If you've read pretty much any Singer, you know the drill: the hero will be the author's YMNUM (Young Man Not Unlike Myself) who is shy, intellectual, fickle, terrified of commitment, and (rather implausibly) a babe magnet. I'm reading Moskat now, and what surprises me isn't that the hero is both fickle and sexually voracious, but that practically everyone in the novel is carrying on an adulterous affair or contemplating doing so. If it weren't for rabbis and the high-school philosophizing, I'd feel like I was reading a John Updike novel.