Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, December 27, 2004
 
Eveyone seems to be making lists of the best movies of the year. Hey: I've got a 2 year-old at home, and I'm not very organized about getting babysitters. I saw four movies in the theaters this year: Sideways, Before Sunset, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi, the last at a mini Israeli Film Festival at my synagogue so it barely counts as a night out (well, we did need to get a babysitter, so I guess it counts). I saw more movies than that on airplanes, most of them mediocre releases from this year or last (examples, probably not exhaustive: Anchorman, Big Fish, Dodgeball, House of Sand and Fog, Mystic River, School of Rock).

But you know the nice thing about Netflix? It keeps track of what you rented, so you know what you watched! This is a big help for someone with very little memory, like me. And, as we have a 2 year-old at home, we seem to have rented a rather lot of movies. Here's the list, with my one-word reviews:

American Splendor - excellent

Back to School - classic
Breakfast at Tiffany's - okay
Caddyshack - classic
The Conversation - classic
Down By Law - pretentious
Drugstore Cowboy - decent
Dumbo - classic
Earth Girls are Easy - cute
The Funeral - interesting
Gigi - creepy
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - excellent
Groundhog Day - excellent
Harvey - okay
Henry V (Olivier) - good
The Hustler - classic
The In-Laws - classic
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Sutherland) - good
The Iron Giant - disappointing
I've Heard the Mermaids Singing - dreadful
Jules and Jim - interesting
Kind Hearts and Coronets - disappointing
Lolita (Mason) - good
M - classic
McCabe and Mrs. Miller - excellent
Mikado: Stratford - excellent
The Misfits - good
Mister Roberts - good
Paths of Glory - classic
Pirates of Penzance: Stratford Production - good
Red River - classic
Reversal of Fortune - riveting
Rhinoceros - bad
Romeo & Juliet (Zeffirelli) - good
The Ruling Class - freaky
Singin' In the Rain - perfect
Stir Crazy - excellent
Sunset Boulevard - interesting
Tampopo - classic
Touch of Evil - classic
Uptown Saturday Night - good
Watership Down - good
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - classic
Young Frankenstein - disappointing

That's about a movie a week. That's probably too many movies. I need to read more.