Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, December 30, 2003
 
I'm informed by readers that there's a long tradition of Americans serving in foreign militaries and foreigners serving in the U.S. military, so I guess my suggestion that anyone so serving should suffer alienation (part of my fourth suggested amendment below) is ill-advised. It's sufficient for my point to say that anyone voting in foreign elections or serving as an officer of a foreign government shall be deemed to have alienated himself. Indeed, it's probably sufficient to limit alienation to those who serve as officers of a foreign government, or take up arms against our own, and nothing more. The point is mostly symbolic; it'll be hard to enforce alienation anyhow. But dual citizenship, as FDR pointed out, is an absurdity, and there should be some recognition in our fundamental law that it is an absurdity.