Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, June 17, 2003
 
Re: the potential release of Barghouti: does anyone remember that DEBKA and others were claiming, when Barghouti was originally arrested, that Israel was "grooming him" to replace Arafat, and effectively giving him "street cred" by charging him with complicity in terrorism? I didn't give much credence to the scenario at the time, nor do I now, but it's still a real puzzle why Barghouti was arrested in the first place. (I discount the possibility that it's because he's guilty. I'm sure he is guilty; but then, I'm at least as sure that Arafat is guilty, and no one has seriously proposed arresting and trying him in an Israeli court. Why, I have no idea.)