Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, March 24, 2003
 
This makes sense to me. The U.S. and British forces are deliberately not engaging in a total occupation of "conquered" cities because of the imperative to drive to Baghdad and "cut the head off the snake." But the result is that Iraqi civilians and much of the regular army - who do hate Saddam, but who don't trust the U.S. after 1991 - don't see physical evidence of the American occupation. Maybe we're lying, just like their own government does? Best to keep your head down until the smoke clears and you see whose flag is flying from the post office, or whatever the Iraqi equivalent may be. In other words: we shouldn't expect the kind of help we could have had in 1991, not until the war is completely over.