Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, November 19, 2002
 
Well, the downside of the Mitzna victory is there will be no unity government. The upside is that Mitzna will offer a clear choice, and Labor will lose badly. Which means the party will start thinking all the quicker about what went wrong and what to do about it. Which means that by the next election, the Labor party may have come to grips with its failure and re-made itself into a party capable of contesting for the Israeli center. Or, if not, that the party will have dissolved and surrendered that ground to some other party (such as Shinui).

Assuming Sharon wins the Likud primary (which he will), I don't think it's crazy to think Likud will get 40 seats all by its lonesome, and Labor could get as few as 15. Heck, if Mitzna keeps saying he'll talk to Arafat any time, anywhere, and wants to form a government with Shas, Shinui might get more seats than Labor. You heard it here first . . .