Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, May 23, 2002
 
Marginal improvement in news from the subcontinent. Musharraf is talking about sharing power with an elected Prime Minister, and Vajpayee is talking less like a man determined to go to war and more like he's just preparing for the eventuality of war (an important difference). DEBKA isn't freaking out about Indo-Pak war, which would be comforting except that their fretting that Mughniyeh is planning to explode dirty nukes in major American, European and Israeli cities. Anyhow, I still think the odds are strongly against a full-scale war, much less a nuclear war, between India and Pakistan. India, after all, has no particular interest in conquering Pakistan, and Pakistan can't win a conventional war by using nukes on the Indian army. India can't simply sit there and watch terrorists attack it across the line of control; the odds still seem good to me for some kind of limited border war. But I think the most likely end of that war is not nuclear escalation but the fall of the Musharraf government - potentially to Islamists. And then the problems really start. I remain much more worried that Pakistan is the conduit by which terrorist groups will finally get their hands on atomic weapons. That strikes me still as a much more likely path to the actual use of the Pakistani bomb than in combat against India. But we'll see.