Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, May 06, 2002
 
James S. Robbins on Yasser Arafat on National Review Online hits the nail on the head. The idea of an international conference is not necessarily against either Israel's or the U.S.'s interest. The idea of a "Gaza first" Palestinian state, with a longer time-frame to a final resolution of the conflict, is not necessarily against either Israel's or the U.S.'s interest. But rehabilitating Arafat is necessarily against our interests, because Arafat cannot make peace. Among other things, he knows that everyone else knows he is the problem, and that therefore they will be looking for solutions that at minimum limit his power and that may eliminate his power entirely. He has every incentive, then, to prevent any possible solution, while reaffirming his own indispensability.