Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, April 12, 2002
 
This story about a Nebraska football coach being rejected for a job at Stanford because of his religious beliefs has been much noted. (For example at OpinionJournal's Best of the Web.) But I don't think anyone's noticed the frank Orwellianism of the justification given for rejecting him. Here's the key paragraph:

"(His religion) was definitely something that had to be considered," said Alan Glenn, Stanford's assistant athletic director of human resources. "We're a very diverse community with a diverse alumni. Anything that would stand out that much is something that has to be looked at. ... It was one of many variables that was considered."

So, if I understand this right, to maintain a diverse community you have to be sure not to include any people who stand out much. Diverse, then, is a synonym for homogeneous. Nice for them to admit it, finally.