Gideon's Blog

In direct contravention of my wife's explicit instructions, herewith I inaugurate my first blog. Long may it prosper.

For some reason, I think I have something to say to you. You think you have something to say to me? Email me at: gideonsblogger -at- yahoo -dot- com

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, March 22, 2002
 
And I assume everyone has finished the piece in The New Yorker by Jeffrey Goldberg, about Saddam Hussein's war against the Kurds. Three things to point out: (1) the case against Saddam is vastly better than the case against Slobodan Milosevic, against whom NATO intervened militarily without outraging the congnoscenti of the world; (2) the Iraqi regime is clearly a direct threat to America, whether or not it was directly involved in the 9/11 attacks; (3) The New Yorker, voice of reasoned Upper East Side liberalism, has just published a major article making the former two points. Why exactly is there any opposition, domestically or among our European allies, for war against Iraq? What is the possible argument? It really does seem to me that the opposition to a war to overturn the Iraqi regime amounts to clear opposition to American self-defense. I hope the Administration agrees, and that the noises it is making about no action being imminent are just for public consumption.